Saturday, April 4, 2015

Selfie Saturday #2

Hallo! Guten Tag! Welcome back to Selfie Saturday, my weekly opportunity to share with you a few things about myself amidst my literary discussions. This week I would like you to know that I am huge lover of everything history and everything travel, and therefore I am going to use this time to tell you about the wonderful trip I recently took to Europe.

Earlier this month, a group of students, teachers, and parents from my high school and from another delightful high school in Arizona went on a trip to Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and Lichtenstein. Between two long days of travel, we were able to spend a total of eight days travelling extensively through the four countries, experiencing the lands, peoples, and cultures of the European continent. It was the definitively one of the most life-altering experiences I have yet to have in my life, and it fostered hundreds of memories and experiences I will never forget.

In Germany our group spent much of our time in Munich, Heidelberg, and Neuschwanstein. All three were absolutely extravagant cities. Munich, in particular, is now definitely one of my favorite cities in the world. The city had a charm and quaintness that perfectly complemented its metropolitan feel. My most cherished memory from Munich was a bike tour some members from our group embarked on on our first day in the city. A super hilarious guide, in the course of two quick hours, led us all through the city, riding bikes like the locals and seeing the sights on a perfect spring day.While Munich was my favorite city from the trip, Austria was my favorite country. In Austria we were able to visit the glorious and gargantuan Vienna, the bustling and beautiful city of Innsbrook, and the ever-romantic Salzburg. All three cities, ranging greatly in size and culture, were each extremely unique, enjoyable places full of history and color. Lastly, our final days brought us through the majestic Swiss Alps to the tiny, Washington D.C.-sized Lichtenstein and Lucerne Switzerland. Unfortunately we were met in Switzerland by some chilly, rainy weather, but our experience there was still unforgettable. After reaching the snowy summit of Mount Rigi, the Queen of the Mountains, we were able to tour the streets of Lucerne and hide in the many cozy cafes and bakeries when the weather became a nuisance.

In addition to the remarkable cities we visited, my trip to Europe was only bettered by the delicious foods we consumed, the marvelous people that accompanied me, and the excellent tour guide that made the trip possible. I think that the most significant artifact I will take from my experience in Europe is, as cliche as this whole post sounds, the knowledge that there is a whole different world beyond Tennessee full of places to explore and people to meet. I am now much more enthusiastic to see more of the world, but at the same time, I am now also more appreciatory of my home.

"To travel is to take a journey into yourself."
- Danny Kaye








1 comment:

  1. I spy one of my most favorites! :) I could go for some of that chocolate fondue right about now...

    ReplyDelete